The Indian Premier League throws up new talent year in and year out and can even creates big stars out of some unknown players.
Who had heard of players like Shaun Marsh, Kieron Pollard or even Ravindra Jadeja before they took centre stage in the IPL?
It is the youngsters who benefit the most, as a couple of good knocks in the T20 tournament can prove a lot more valuable than slogging out for a whole season in domestic cricket.
Who remembers how much a batsman scored or how well did one bowl in a Ranji Trophy competition? But a half-century or a few wickets in the IPL not only puts the players on the selectors’ radar but also boosts their bank balance significantly.
- Ajinkya Rahane, Age 23, Rajasthan Royals
- Steven Smith, Age 22, Pune Warriors
- Rohit Sharma, Age 24, Mumbai Indians
- Ashok Menaria, Age 21, Rajasthan Royals
- Shahbaz Nadeem, Age 22, Delhi Daredevils
- Kieron Pollard, Age 24, Mumbai Indians
- Sunil Narine, Age 23, Kolkata Knight Riders
- Kevon Cooper, Age 23, Rajasthan Royals
- Piyush Chawla, Age 23, Kings XI Punjab
- Ravindra Jadeja, Age 23, Chennai Super Kings